HomeNews ArticlesBLOGIslam Discussion ForumsContact Us

News Articles

Back To Article List

Trio detained in attack on Nazareth church

2006-03-03 23:22:00

Our Comments

According to the Associated Press, the three people were not thought to have been motivated by Jewish nationalism.

I just find that comment interesting because I'm sure if the attackers were Muslims, there wouldn't be anything to defend them, rather I'm sure they would link extremism or terrorism to them and they would be referred to as "Islamic Extremists".

This is just another example of the inconsistency in the media when it comes to the actions of Muslims.

Full Article:

Trio detained in attack on Nazareth church

Police in the northern Israel town of Nazareth removed three people from the Basilica of the Annunciation Friday, hours after they caused a major disturbance by setting off explosives in one of Christianity's holiest churches.

Witnesses said the trio entered the building disguised as Christian pilgrims, then caused small explosions by setting off an unknown number of firecrackers or fireworks.

A car is seen burning after being set alight by rioters in front of the Basilica of the Annunciation in the nothern Israeli town of Nazareth Friday March 3, 2006. (CP photo)

They barricaded themselves in the church for three hours, while an angry mob consisting of thousands of local residents gathered outside.

The church is holy to Christians because it is purportedly built on the spot where the Angel Gabriel predicted the birth of Jesus to his mother, Mary, in an event known as the Annunciation.

Nazareth is the town where the young Jesus is believed to have grown up.

At least two of the people who caused Friday's disturbance, a Jewish husband and his Christian wife, have previously had psychiatric treatment, the Associated Press reported. The third person detained was a woman whose relationship to the couple was not known.

Worshippers fled the Basilica as the firecrackers went off, authorities said.

Soon after, throngs of residents of the town struggled with police officers converging on the scene. As many as eight people were slightly hurt.

Christian leaders and civic officials, including the town's mayor, worked to defuse the situation.

According to the Associated Press, the three people were not thought to have been motivated by Jewish nationalism.

Back To Article List

Back To Top


Insight Into Current Issues

  • When Government Agencies Manufacture Terror
    2017-10-06 10:18:11
  • Fighting Terrorism is what the Prophet Muhammad did and is the Duty of All Muslims
    2017-10-02 22:27:53
  • Is Islam Really The Religion of Peace that Muslims Practice?
    2017-05-07 09:52:53
  • 10 Steps to Permanently Defeat Islamic Terrorism
    2017-05-04 00:19:31
  • Why do Muslims come to our country?
    2017-05-02 00:12:21
  • Secret Counsels against Islam will not succeed
    2015-11-19 13:21:07
  • Prayers (Dua) for health problems
    2015-11-13 14:53:45
  • The Importance of reading and following the Holy Qur'an
    2015-11-10 14:25:07
  • Messages for People of the Book (Christians & Jews) from the Qur'an
    2015-11-06 14:20:23
  • Simple rules of Islam in a single verse/ayyat
    2015-11-05 12:57:46
  • More Islam Muslim BLOG

    News Articles

    News Article Comments

  • Quebec’s religious neutrality bill 62 is an Anti-Muslim Veil Burka, Niqab, Burka Ban
    2017-11-21 12:06:44
  • Reminder to Muslims that we will face challenges and attacks from people of other faiths
    2015-10-26 12:53:39
  • Why Is the Middle East in a State of War?
    2015-10-23 16:02:49
  • The Traits of Successful Muslims
    2015-10-20 12:40:42
  • The original bible in Aramaic is reportedly found with huge contradictions to the current Church authorized Bible
    2014-05-05 13:38:33
  • Xinjiang China Controvery over Ramadan and Fasting
    2013-07-15 16:28:01
  • Syria - The Truth And Why You Should Care
    2013-04-29 14:43:08
  • Is it Haram/Not Allowed to read, understand follow Islam by the Holy Qur'an in a language other than Arabic?
    2012-12-21 11:49:15
  • Man charged after cartoonist's home invaded
    2010-01-02 15:35:43
  • The Stealth Crusade
    2009-07-17 16:57:56
  • More Islam Muslim News Articles & Comments

    Facts About Islam

    Not All Arabs Are Muslims

    Many Arabs are actually of different faiths including Christianity and Judaism.  Only 20% of Muslims are actually Arabs, while the remaining 80% of Muslims come from every nationality.
    © 2018 UniteIslam.com - All Rights Reserved